TPI’s engineering team utilizes industry leading tools to design and develop innovative structural composite parts ranging from single parts to a complete vehicle body-in-white. Our design team partners with each customer to fully understand the requirements, quickly developing an innovative initial design. A 3-D model is created utilizing various CAD software (matching the customer’s system) and simulation performed to optimize the composite structure while meeting the customer’s expectations. Manufacturing tooling and simulations are utilized to ensure streamlined processing.
The molding technology that is selected for each part is determined by various criteria: annual volume, performance requirements, physical size, as well as cost. TPI Transportation produces parts using these technologies in various fabrics (carbon fiber or glass) and resins:
- Liquid Compression Molding (LCM),
- Sheet Molding Compound (SMC),
- High Pressure Resin Transfer Molding (HPRTM),
- Light Resin Transfer Molding (LRTM),
- Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM)
TPI’s Innovation Team is driving the next phase of products for the company. Ongoing work includes:
- New materials
- Innovative molding techniques,
- Combinations of current manufacturing and assembly techniques.
Prototype and low volume production are built in the newly updated Rhode Island Technical Center.